Raleigh restaurant owner plans ‘Harvest 18’ in Durham

Aug. 27, 2013 @ 05:50 PM

A Raleigh restaurant owner is looking to fill what he sees as a void of locally owned restaurants in southern Durham by opening a new farm-to-fork restaurant near The Streets at Southpoint.

The restaurant is targeted to open in December in Renaissance Village, which is the shopping center off of Renaissance Parkway near its intersection with N.C. 751 and SuperTarget.

Harvest 18 is slated to go into a 3,045-square-foot space that previously housed a Doc Green’s Gourmet Salads & Grill location. The shopping center also is home to the locally owned pizza eatery Tomato Jake’s Pizza and biscuit and doughnut shop Rise.

Rich Roy, director of leasing for Casto, the owner of the shopping center, said restaurant proprietor Jason Smith signed a lease for the space earlier this month. Smith owns the contemporary American restaurant 18 Seaboard in Raleigh as well as Cantina 18, also in Raleigh.

According to the 18 Seaboard website, Smith was born in Raleigh and grew up in Wilmington. He started cooking at Raleigh’s 42nd Street Oyster Bar, and later worked under Chef Ben Barker at the now-closed, fine-dining Durham restaurant Magnolia Grill. He also held positions in restaurants in New York City and Charleston.

“As you know, the popularity of Southpoint is obviously a huge draw,” Roy said. “I think he’s seen a void in this marketplace for (locally owned restaurants) that’s dominated by the chains right now.”