Fire damages home in Hope Valley area

Jun. 26, 2014 @ 09:54 AM

A severed outdoor electrical cable caused a fire that damaged at house in the Hope Valley area Wednesday morning, fire officials said. No one was hurt.
Firefighters were called at 10:36 a.m. to the single-story house at 3502 Manford Drive and saw dense smoke in the crawl space, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.
Contractors doing work in the yard struck a buried electric cable, and soon saw smoke in the house.
The fire was quickly extinguished, but overhaul work to ensure that the fire was out and didn't spread to hidden areas resulted in extensive damage to the floor, Iannuzzi said.
Twenty-four firefighters responded to the call, and several fire companies were at the scene more than two hours.
The Red Cross was not called.