Apartment fire displaces 2

Apr. 27, 2014 @ 10:35 PM

Two people were burned out of their apartment Sunday afternoon, but no one was hurt, Durham fire officials said.

Firefighters were called at 4 p.m. to 4130 Garrett Road and saw smoke from an apartment in the three-unit building, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

A kitchen fire had been partially extinguished by the building's sprinkler system and firefighters quickly doused the remaining flames, he said.

The fire started on the stove and spread to cabinets, a microwave oven and walls. There was water and smoke damage to the apartment, and an adjoining unit sustained water damage, Iannuzzi said.

Red Cross officials were called to help two adult occupants with emergency housing.

Twenty-four firefighters responded to the call, and crews were on the scene for 90 minutes.