Man shot dead after breaking into mobile home

Aug. 23, 2013 @ 05:45 PM

A man was shot dead early Friday morning after he reportedly broke into a mobile home in eastern Durham County, sheriff’s officials said.

Detectives were calling the death a homicide Friday, but investigators will determine if the shooting was a crime, according to Deputy Paul Sherwin, public information officer for the Durham County Sheriff’s Office.

Sherwin said deputies were called to the mobile home at 307 Stoney Creek Circle off Mineral Springs Road at 1:37 a.m. and found a man in his mid-40s had been fatally shot “during an altercation.” He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The intruder apparently broke in through a back door and was shot at least once while four other people were inside, Sherwin said. He said it was unclear if the man was shot with his own gun or someone else’s.

Sherwin said the man, whose identity was not released Friday, was known to those inside, “but we are still determining the exact relationships between all of them.”

Investigators were trying to find and speak with Carlos Hernandez, who they said left the scene after the shooting. They described him as Hispanic, in his early to mid-40s and possibly driving a small, red sedan.

They asked that Hernandez call 919-560-0880 so investigators can interview him and get his side of the story.

Sherwin said detectives were not releasing any motive information Friday.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call investigators at 919-560-0880 or the Sheriff’s Tip Line at 919-560-7151.