Clothes near heater spark East Durham fire

Feb. 27, 2014 @ 05:26 PM

A house fire in East Durham displaced five children and six adults Thursday morning and sent one person to the hospital, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called at 9:28 a.m. to a fire at 2611 Angier Ave. and saw flames and smoke coming from top floor of the two-story house, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

Six people were home at the time, and all escaped before firefighters arrived.

The fire was under control in 30 minutes, but fire damaged nearly half the house and water and smoke damaged much of the rest.

One occupant was taken to the hospital by Durham County Emergency Medical Services workers.

Red Cross workers are helping the occupants with temporary housing.

The fire started in a second-floor bedroom when clothes ignited after they were placed too near a portable heater, Iannuzzi said.

Thirty-five firefighters responded to the call, and crews were on the scene about two hours.