Chimney fire damages home

Nov. 26, 2013 @ 06:00 PM

A chimney fire damaged a home Tuesday on Roxboro Street. No one was hurt.

Battalion Chief Scott Roberts of the Durham Fire Department said firefighters were called at 12:38 p.m. to the single-family home at 1306 S. Roxboro St.

The occupants had started a fire in the fireplace and noticed smoke behind the mantle, he said.

Firefighters tore out part of a wall to get to the flames and prevented the blaze from spreading. Smoke entered the attic.

Roberts said damage was minimal, and that the four occupants were able to continue staying in the home.

Twenty-three firefighters from three stations were at the scene about an hour.