Durham City Council Meeting - Aug. 19, 2013
City Council Meeting Agenda
Monday, August 19, 2013, 7 p.m.
Council Chambers, First Floor
Call To Order
Moment Of Silent Meditation
Pledge Of Allegiance
- Durham Youthwork Internship Program Businesses and United States Conference of Mayors DollarWise Campaign
Priority Items By The City Manager, City Attorney And City Clerk
1. Human Relations Commission – AppointmentTo appoint Girija Mahajan to the Human Relations Commission representing an Other Racial Minority Group Female with the term expiring on June 30, 2015.
Note: At the Work Session on August 8, 2013, Girija Mahajan received six (6) votes.
(Due to the resignation of Nina B. Baltierra)
(Resource Person: LaVerne V. Brooks – 919-560-4166 ext. 11264) (PR# 9355)
2. Citizens Advisory Committee – AppointmentTo appoint a Kevin W. McLaughlin to the Citizens Advisory Committee with the term expiring on June 30, 2014.
Note: At the Work Session on August 8, 2013, Kevin W. McLaughlin received six (6) votes.
(Due to the resignation of Richard C. Fuqua)
(Resource Person: LaVerne V. Brooks – 919-560-4166 ext. 11264) (PR# 9356)
3. Adopt Preliminary Assessment Rolls and Set Public Hearings for Confirmation of Ed Cook Road; Ardmore Drive; Valley Springs Road and Rivermont Road and Valley Springs Road, Rose Road and Forrestdale RoadTo adopt a preliminary resolution adopting the preliminary assessment roll and setting a public hearing for September 3, 2013, for confirmation of each of the following assessment rolls:
Water Main on Ed Cook Road from Hickory Nut Drive to the South Property Line of PIN 0739-02-79-0975;
Water Main on Ardmore Drive from Cook Road to the West property Line of PIN 0820-18-41-3473;
Water Main on Valley Springs Road from Rose of Sharon Road to Rivermont Road and Rivermont Road from Valley Springs Road West to the West Property Line of PIN 0813-01-19-7523; and
Water Main on Valley Springs Road from Rivermont Road North, then West to include PIN 0814-03-10-7214, Rose Road from Valley Springs Road to the North Property Line of PIN 0813-01-19-9957 and Forrestdale Road from Valley Springs Road to the end of the cul-de-sac.
(Resource Persons: Robert N. Joyner, Jr. and Nathan L. McHenry – 919-560-4326) (PR# 9328)
4. Street AcceptancesTo accept the streets on the attached list for maintenance by the City of Durham.
(Resource Persons: Robert N. Joyner, Jr. and Nathan L. McHenry) (PR# 9331)
5. Amendment to Interlocal Agreement with Durham County for Joint Disparity StudyTo authorize the City Manager to execute an Amendment to the Interlocal Agreement between the County of Durham and the City of Durham for a Joint Disparity Study in the amount of $50,000.00.
(Resource Person: Deborah Giles – 919-560-4180 ext. 17243) (PR# 9345)
6. Resolution Authorizing the Issuance of Limited Obligation Bonds, Series 2013A and 2013BTo adopt a Resolution of the City Council of the City of Durham, North Carolina providing for the Issuance of $20,000,000.00 Limited Obligation Bonds, Series A (Tax-Exempt), $16,000,000.00 Limited Obligation Bonds, Series 2012B (Taxable) of the City of Durham, North Carolina; and
To authorize the City Manager or his designee to execute other associated legal documents as necessary to complete this transaction, and to make changes to any of the legal documents prior to execution, so long as the changes are consistent with the intent of the agenda item memo and the existing versions of the documents.
(Resource Person: Chad Cowan – 919-560-4511 ext. 18238) (PR# 9339)
8. License Agreement with Carolina Arbors by Del Webb Homeowner’s AssociationTo authorize the City Manager to enter into a license agreement with Carolina Arbors by Del Webb Homeowner’s Association for specialty signs in the public right-of-way.
(Resource Person: Robert N. Joyner, Jr. – 919-560-4326 ext. 30229) (PR# 9292)
9. Parks and Recreation Master PlanTo adopt the City of Durham Parks and Recreation Master Plan 2013.
(Resource Persons: Rhonda Parker and Beth Timson – 919-560-4355) (PR# 9327)
10 – 12. These items can be found on the General Business Agenda – Public Hearings.
[General Business Agenda – Public Hearings]
Assessments and Improvements
10. Mini Assessment Roll for Water Main on Donphil RoadTo conduct a public hearing and receive comments on Confirmation of the Mini Assessment Roll for Water Main on Donphil Road; and
To find that the property of Sosha N. Gallego, identified as 1205 Donphil Rd, PIN 0824-01-28-3151, has benefited from the water main improvement and to confirm the assessment in the amounts of $2,012.50 (in accordance with City policy).
(Resource Persons: Robert N. Joyner, Jr. and Nathan L. McHenry – 919-560-4326) (PR# 9329)
11. Mini Assessment Roll for Sewer Main on East Cornwallis RoadTo conduct a public hearing and receive comments on Confirmation of the Mini Assessment Roll for Sewer Main on East Cornwallis Road;
To find that the properties of Jerome Ramsey, identified as 1604 E. Cornwallis Rd, PIN 0729-02-97-9394 and 1602 E. Cornwallis Road, PIN 0729-02-97-9498, have benefited from the sewer main improvement and to confirm the assessments in the amounts of $1,250.00 and $13,241.50, respectively (in accordance with City policy), and
To reconsider the assessment against the property of U.D.I. Community Development Corp. and to find that the property, identified as 4601 Industry Lane, PIN 0729-02-97-7530, has benefited from the sewer main improvement and to confirm the assessment in the amount of $13,990.00 (in accordance with City policy).
(Resource Persons: Robert N. Joyner, Jr. and Nathan L. McHenry – 919-560-4326) (PR# 9330)
12. Economic Development and Historic Property Preservation Agreement with Concord Hospitality Enterprises Company for Capital Investments and Historic Property Preservation of 1108 West Main StreetTo conduct a public hearing and receive comments on the proposed economic development and historic property preservation agreement between Concord Hospitality Enterprises Company and the City of Durham; and
To authorize the City Manager to execute an economic development and historic preservation agreement between the City of Durham and Concord Hospitality Enterprises Company for capital investment and historic property preservation of 1108 West Main Street, for a total payment amount not to exceed $1,332,266.00.
(Resource Person: Kevin Dick – 919-560-4965 ext. 15219) (PR# 9348)
[Announcements By Council]
Notice Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The City of Durham will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in the City's services, programs, or activities. The City will generally, upon request, provide appropriate aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities so they can participate equally in the City's programs, services, and activities, The City will make all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all City programs, services, and activities. Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communications, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in the City program, service, or activity, should contact the office of Stacey Poston, Acting ADA Coordinator, Voice: (919)560-4197, ext. 21254, TTY:(919) 560-1200; ADA@durhamnc.gov, as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the scheduled event.