The police are investigating a shooting that left a 14-year-old male seriously injured, police said Tuesday night.
The shooting happened shortly after 8:30 p.m. in the 300 block of Kilarney Drive. The male was transported to a local hospital with serious injuries.
The 14-year-old is likely the 107th person to be shot in Durham so far this year, the Police Department's Analytical Services Manager Jason Schiess said, during a Wednesday meeting centered on crime in Durham.
Police Chief C.J. Davis, who also attended the meeting, said it’s hard to say whether the shooting incidents have increased because police just started collecting this year the more specific data on shootings.
Never miss a local story.
Davis explained that she and her department are focusing on the number of people shot in Durham, because that could have been the number of people killed.
Schiess said there have been about 330 shooting incidents in which a gun was fired, be it at a person or an unoccupied dwelling, thus far in 2017.
Police spokesman Wil Glenn said a follow-up investigation into the shooting of the 14-year-old “is underway.” No information about a suspect or a motive was immediately known.
Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.
Staff reporter Virginia Bridges contributed to this article.