This Week in Durham History

New synagogue completed for Durham Hebrew Congregation
Apr. 06, 2013 @ 09:33 AM

The Durham Hebrew Congregation’s new building at Queen and Holloway Streets was completed in 1921, and the board of directors changed the congregation’s name to Beth-El in mid-April. 

Jews had first settled in Durham as merchants in the growing town, and their numbers increased in the early 1880s with those who came to work in the Blackwell and Duke tobacco factories, when cigarettes were made by hand.