This Week in Durham History
The Southern Conservatory of Music opened with 40 pupils in the fall of 1898 in a renovated Duke family home.
Growing enrollment soon created demand for a new, larger building, funded by Washington Duke, on the southwest corner of Duke and West Main streets. Gilmore Ward Bryant and his wife headed the school and taught the students (exclusively young women) voice, piano, violin, cello and harp.
The school moved to a location near South Alsston Avenue and Riddle Road in 1924 and closed in 1928. (Source: Anderson, “Durham County.”)