This Week in Durham History
James B. Duke Professorships announced
On September 26, 1953, The Duke Endowment announced that it had created the James B. Duke Professorships ""to honor well-established members of the Duke academic community, irrespective of field, who have also achieved singular distinction as creative scholars."" The professorships were named for James Buchanan Duke, youngest son of Washington Duke, who founded Duke University. Just 10 months before James B. Duke died in 1925, he established The Duke Endowment.
James W. Carrington Receives Eagle Scout Award
James W. Carrington on Sept. 26, 1942, became the first African American boy in the Occoneechee Council area to receive the much coveted Eagle Scout award from the Boy Scouts of America. The newspaper announcement of Carrington's honor said "He has done much for himself but more by his unselfish work for his race than any boy his age.”
Formal Dedication Of Fire Station #2
Fire Chief Cosmo Cox led the dedication Sept. 28, 1950. Fire Station #2, located at 1001 Ninth Street, is actually the third building named Fire Station #2 in Durham. The first was built of wood and was torn down in 1903; it was replaced by brick building in the same location that year. That second building was demolished in 1951, having been replaced by the Ninth Street station in 1950. The first two stations were downtown on land leased from the tobacco companies. The new (third) Fire Station #2 was built in West Durham, closer to the neighborhoods and schools where more people were now living.