Cane Creek Baptist to celebrate 225th

May. 10, 2014 @ 12:33 PM

Cane Creek Baptist Church is celebrating its 225th anniversary on May 17-18 during its annual homecoming celebration.
The celebration will begin at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the Activity Center on Orange Grove Road with self-guided tours of the local historic features. A slide show of historic community photographs will be on display in the Activity Center and a book of historical sketches will be available for purchase.
At 5:30 p.m. the church’s youth will host a barbecue dinner. The proceeds from the dinner will go to summer mission opportunities.
On Sunday, Cane Creek Baptist will have its homecoming service at 10:45 a.m. at the church, 6901 Orange Grove Road, Hillsborough, with the Rev. Chris Gambill delivering the sermon.
The service will be followed by a dinner.
According to Cane Creek Baptist Church, nine settlers founded it in 1789 with Thomas Cate serving as its first pastor.
The earliest surviving records from 1816 indicate a congregation of 45 individuals at Cane Creek Baptist Church.  Over the years, Cane Creek has been the mother church for many other Baptist churches including Antioch, Mars Hill, Cross Roads, and Moore’s Chapel in Saxapahaw, Oak Grove, and Hickory Grove.
After Thomas Cate, the next pastor whose identity is known was Stephen Pleasant.
Beginning with J.C. Wilson in 1852, all of Cane Creek's pastors have received formal theological training, most at Wake Forest College. Besides Cate and Pleasant, other prominent Cane Creek pastors include George Purefoy (preached 1839-52), author of many tracts, articles and books and described as one of the best educated North Carolinians of his time; and J.F. McDuffie, who led the congregation in the construction and operation of Orange Grove Academy during his stay at Cane Creek (1896-1907). This academy continued in existence until tax supported public schools were constructed across the county. The church’s current pastor is the Rev. David John Hailey.

For more information, call (919) 967-2876 or visit www.canecreek.org.