Shiki Sushi owner planning new concept

Feb. 05, 2013 @ 03:49 PM

Plans for Shiki Sushi:  The owner of Durham’s Shiki Sushi Asian Bistro, Sushi & Bar is making plans to shift the restaurant’s operations into a neighboring space under a different name so he can renovate the old Shiki space and open an Asian fondue, or hot pot, concept.
Shiki Sushi opened in 2001 at 207 W. N.C. 54 in the Homestead Market shopping center near N.C. 54’s intersection with Fayetteville Road, serving two-for-the-price-of-one sushi rolls and a range of other items.
Owner Tham Nguyen has expanded the Durham restaurant several times. In 2007, he opened another restaurant called Tasu Asian Bistro, Sushi & Bar in Raleigh, and another Tasu restaurant in Cary in 2010.
The concept for Tasu is very much the same as Shiki, Nguyen said, but under a different name that combines letters from his, his son’s, and his wife’s first names.
The plan is to move Shiki Sushi’s operations into the new Tasu space, which he said will have a larger banquet room and a larger kitchen that will allow for additional items on the menu including seafood and steak. He’s also planning to start serving dim sum eventually.
Nguyen said the plan is then to renovate the existing Shiki Sushi space so he can launch a new Asian hot pot concept. Customers will choose vegetables or meats and several different types of broth.
The concept is one that he said he saw in New York. While he said he’s seen a few small restaurants that have similar offerings, he’s planning to offer a big menu and the option for a fixed price, all-you-can-eat.
Tasu is expected to be open in March, Nguyen said. The new hot pot concept is expected to be open by May or by June.

---

Parker and Otis to re-open: The owner of Parker and Otis is planning to re-open the downtown restaurant and gift shop by the end of the week.
Owner Jennings Brody said the restaurant passed electric, fire and building inspections on Monday, and had a health inspection Tuesday.
The restaurant is re-opening following a fire determined by Durham Fire Department officials to have been caused by a light fixture.
“We had to start from scratch,” Brody said. “We lost all the merchandise from the back room to the porch. Things are looking – they’re looking amazing … we did the best we could with the four weeks that we had, and we tried to get more interesting products, and make things more efficient…”

---

Have an item for The Buzz? Contact Laura Oleniacz at loleniacz@heraldsun.com, or at 919-419-6636.